Saturday, October 22, 2011

We're not in Kansas anymore. Cause puns and stuff.

By the time this post goes up, I should be somewhere north of my Norman home, on the way to Kansas City to sling some spells. For the past few months I have been behind the wheel of a self made Red list that I am quite comfortable with. That being said, I intend to take a Red deck to the legacy portion of the event Sunday as well. My Standard list for Saturday will be as follows:

Mans: 19
4 Stromkirk Noble
4 Stormblood Beserker
3 Grim Lavamancer
3 Chandra's Phoenix
3 Hero of Oxid Ridge
2 Reckless Waif

Instants: 13
4 Incinerate
4 Gut Shot
3 Brimstone Volley
2 Ancient Grudge

Artifacts: 4
4 Shrine of Burning Rage

Planeswalkers: 1
1 Koth of the Hammer

Lands: 23
4 Rootbound Crag
17 Mountain

Sideboard: 15
3 Blasphemous Act
2 Ancient Grudge
1 Koth of the Hammer
1 Reckless Waif
3 Arc Trail
3 Vulshok Refugee
2 Burn the Impure

As for the Legacy portion of the event, I will be making even more red mana enter my pool and turn into some sweet direct damage with the burn list that follows.

Mans: 12
4 Goblin Guide
4 Keldon Marauders
4 Hellspark Elemental

Instants: 12
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Fireblast
4 Price of Progress

Sorcerys: 16
4 Lava Spike
4 Chain Lightning
4 Flame Rift
4 Rift Bolt 

Lands: 20
2 Barbarian Ring
18 Mountain

Sideboard: 15
3 Tormod's Crypt 
3 Pyrostatic Pillar
3 Smash to Smithereens
4 Pyroblast
2 Reverberate

We will see how playing mono red works out for two days running. I know I will auto lose to tendrils going off before turn 3. However 4 mind break traps will do nothing for my success so I'm just going to try and push as much damage as possible and get my pyropillars on line. I feel as if my deck should have a surprise element against everything (mostly the players) in Kansas City, so maybe I'll take down some matches.

As a special bonus, you will be getting a review of the Star City deliver to tournament site mechanic, as my entire legacy deck, besides the goblin guides, is "in the mail". Here's hoping I actually get to play some legacy. Next week I will have some evaluations on the Legacy and Standard meta games and an adapted standard list for how to beat those Dungrove Elders.

As always, you can find me on Twitter @samdavisboyhero and I will attempt to live tweet as much of Star City Kansas City as possible! Until next time, keep your sleeves clean and your creatures unblocked.

No comments:

Post a Comment